Registered Nurse (RN)-Support Center
Are you looking to make a difference? If so, Samaritan Daytop Village offers opportunities for a meaningful and challenging career in the health and human services field. We are looking for proactive, team-oriented employees to join our organization for the opening of the Support Center in the Bronx. Come be part of our rapidly growing agency in one of several positions available at the Support Center. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including: medical, dental, and vision; 401k employer match; pension; LTD; life insurance; tuition reimbursement; Flexible Spending Account (FSA); and generous time off.
The Support and Connection Center is a new entity type and the first of its kind in New York City offering a comprehensive range of mental health and substance use disorder services to individuals referred by NYPD. The center will provide 24/7/365 client-centered, short stay, engagement and stabilization/treatment alternative for people who are experiencing non-emergency psychiatric symptoms, drug use and/or non-emergency medical issues. The Samaritan Daytop Village’s Support and Connection Center will provide true integration of Mental Health, Substance Use, and Medical Care to individuals in need of support.
Samaritan Daytop Village is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate because of age, color, disability, ethnicity, marital or family status, national origin, gender, identity, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, military veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are committed to attracting, retaining and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce.
Under general direction, The Registered Nurse (RN) is responsible for providing direct nursing care, as assigned, to agency clients in accordance with agency policies and procedures and current standards of Nursing Practice. Completes assigned duties and documents in the medical record in accordance with medical record policies and procedures. This work is carried out in support of the mission and goals of Samaritan Daytop Village.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assesses health status of clients assigned to daily work schedule and develops a plan of care.
- Performs and documents Nursing Intake/Medical History in accordance with agency policy and procedure.
- Triages sick call list as assigned and makes referrals for treatment to appropriate level of medical practitioner.
- Completes follow-up assessment of clients who are treated for chronic and/or acute illnesses to monitor effectiveness of prescribed treatments.
- Screens clients for TB by administering PPD and assessing the reaction to the PPD.
- Monitors lab values to identify abnormalities and reports such to attending physician or physician’s assistant.
- Reviews medical record to assess care being provided and to ensure continuity of care.
- Reviews entire medical record of clients to be transferred to identify problems and need for follow-up appointments or diagnostic evaluations.
- Executes orders for prescribed treatments and diagnostic testing.
- Draws blood and obtains other specimens for laboratory tests ordered by attending physician or physician's assistant.
- Monitors vital signs and performs physical examination, as indicated to assess health status of clients.
- Develops a plan of care for nursing care in accordance with standards of practice.
- Administers First Aid in accordance with Standing Orders approved by the Medical Director.
- Documents doses administered or packaged on the medication administration record in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Maintains flow sheets for Diabetics on insulin therapy.
- Changes dressings, wounds, and provides other treatments that are prescribed by a physician that are within the standards of Nursing Practice.
- On a rotational basis, provides "on call' 24-hour coverage, via beeper, during evenings and weekends if needed.
- Documents all assessments, interventions and response to treatments in the progress notes.
- Administers and documents medications prescribed to agency clients.
- Prepares medication doses for direct administration to agency clients during clinic hours of operation.
- Maintains integrity and completeness of medical record in accordance with policies and procedures
- Files all feedback consult sheets in medical record after review with the client and/or attending physician.
- Assures that all laboratory reports are noted and filed in the medical record.
- Dates and signs note and completes them in chronological order in accordance with policy and procedures.
- Ensures confidentiality of medical record by obtaining appropriate consents for release of information.
- Packages doses of medication for self-administration by clients for periods when the medical clinic is closed or for clients who are permitted to self-medicate in accordance with agency policies.
- Picks up orders for treatments and diagnostic tests and completes appropriate request and/or consult forms. Notes date, time and signature for each order picked up.
- Provides patient education relative to diet, exercise, medication and treatments that are ordered.
- Coordinates and monitors the care provided by referral specialists.
- Communicates a professional image through the use of appropriate non-verbal behavior and proper attire.
- Transcribes medication orders to medication administration record and completes procedures to obtain medications from pharmacy.
- Functions as a team member to organize and prioritize responsibilities to complete work assignments, e.g. complies with changes in routine without supervision, adjusts to peaks in work load, completes priority assignments promptly.
- Takes vital signs as ordered for hypertensive clients, and documents results on flow sheet.
- Maintains inventories of stock items and orders supplies as indicated.
- Maintains narcotic records as required by regulatory agencies.
- Reviews medication orders and obtains renewal orders or orders to discontinue prescribed medications in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Uses communication skills effectively with medical Clinic staff, clients and clinical staff to maintain a positive working relationship that fosters quality medical care.
- Advises physicians and nursing supervisor of any problems that may arise in the provision of medical care that is indicated and/or ordered.
- Respects confidentiality by releasing restricted information to only those individuals who are authorized and have a need to know.
- Communicates clients' health status to treating physicians and/or physician's assistant in a timely manner.
- Maintains a calm, knowledgeable demeanor and keeps composure under stressful conditions.
- Cooperates with Medical Staff, and administration and other agency staff in a collaborative effort of providing quality medical care and a positive working relationship.
- Cooperates with physicians, supervisor and co-workers in working towards departmental goals and objectives.
- Performs other duties as requested.
Education, Experience and Skills Required:
- Associate’s Degree in Nursing.
- Minimum of One-Three (1-3) year demonstrated experience as an RN preferably working with clients with Substance Use Disorder (SUD) and/or Serious Mental Illness (SMI).
- Available to work a flexible schedule and be to work all three shifts as needed in response to participant and staff needs.
- Computer literacy including proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and EMR.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Available to work a flexible schedule and be able to work all three shifts as needed in response to participant and staff needs.
- Ability to put patients at ease and explain physician’s instructions.
- Ability to multi-task with excellent organization skills.
- Experience working directly with people from diverse racial, ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Team player and ability to work independently.
- NYS RN licensure.
- BLS certification.
Preferred Education, License/Certification, Experience and/or Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree is Nursing (BSN).
- Knowledge of multi-disciplinary team experience.
- Knowledge of techniques for identifying and preventing potentially violent behavior, including crisis management techniques.
- Competency in written, interpersonal, verbal and computational skills to present and document records in accordance with program standards.
- Knowledgeable about federal, state and local law and regulation governing substance abuse treatment programs.
- Strong commitment to building a diverse and inclusive culture within law enforcement, city agencies, healthcare services, and community-based social service providers.